(urth) Mucor and Oreb in the manse

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:54:59 PST 2011

On 11/28/2011 11:07 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> But the fact remains that Pike's ghost wasn't seen at the same time or
> place as Oreb and Mucor. Pike's ghost came minutes later, on the
> landing, and neither Oreb nor Mucor were with him.

Define "the same time or place". It is quite reasonable that they were
under the same roof of a small residence at the same time. It's just
that Silk didn't hear him until "minutes later".

Additionally, /Silk himself/ believed the appearances were connected. He
postulated that Mucor had somehow /summoned/ Pike's ghost. This is a
Wolfe novel; we should expect that supposition to be /ironically/ true.

> As Silk told Mamelta, Pike was dead. Neither Oreb nor Mucor were dead on the
> night in question in the manse. The sounds of floorboards and Pike's bed
> creaking and a closing door are the sorts of things associated with ghosts.

Those are things associated with ghosts. But the only time a ghost's
appearance is connected with cheerfully waving while wearing an old hat
which falls to the ground as he disappears in a silvery mist....the only
time /that/ is associated with ghosts is when Eric Von Zipper and the
Malibu Rat Pack is involved in the story.

> Why would Silkhorn, astrally traveling in time, bother to do those things?
> It was Pike's bed in Pike's room, not Silk's. Silk had no personal emotional
> ties to Pike's bedroom, but Pike's ghost might.

Because /Silk/ was in his room. The question is not why was the Rajan
was hiding there, but what he was at the manse in the first place. I've
taken a shot at answering that. However, most importantly, it's not
actually Silk who is astrally traveling. Silk's memories are there and
the memory of Horn's memories. But he is also a Neighbor. You might as
well ask why Rose-in-Marble would be interested in marrying a chem soldier.