(urth) Pike's Ghost

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Nov 29 05:59:10 PST 2011

From: Larry Miller

> Am I the only one that thinks that the mandragora and the Prime
> Calcula are one and the same?  I know some believe it is a reference
> to the Mainframe AI but is there any mention of a prime Calculator
> anywhere?  And why would Echidna mention this when asked about Pas
> possessing bodies?  And theres mention of the Citadel in the same
> sentence.
The question Silk asked was about how Pas died – that’s why he asked if Pas possessed someone who died.  Echidna answered the implied question, but she was losing control of Marble and her words were fragmented.  She is referring to Pas’s last defence in Mainframe.  The Prime Calculator, or Prime Calculation Unit, or whatever, was Pas’s citadel.  [Possibly it was damaged in the struggle, but that’s speculation.]
She looks towards the Sacred window as she says it.  I think that’s an indication of looking towards Mainframe, though I suppose I would interpret it the same way if she looked east.
For me, ‘prime calculator’ is the obvious interpretation – ‘calcula’ isn’t even a word, really.  And a reference to the Citadel of Nessus makes no sense that I can see.
- Gerry Quinn