(urth) Pike's ghost

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:36:46 PST 2011

On 11/28/2011 5:00 PM, António Marques wrote:
> - You (as many others) often like to assert "there's no reason to
> believe X" when in fact it's merely that "though the odds are for X,
> it may well be otherwise".

Unfortunately, there are no odds-makers in literary criticism. Perhaps
you mean "though THERE ARE REASONS for X, it may well be otherwise".
Everybody thinks his theory is the most likely.

> - You (as probably others) seem to believe phenotypic plasticity can
> lead to clones being very different from their originals. That is just
> not the case in what regards higher animals, the more since the
> environments aren't radically different, and specifically it won't
> give you two persons with really different faces. Nor do I think that
> could have been GW's intention.

If Silk is a clone of Typhon, we are probably supposed to believe Silk
looked a lot like Typhon when he was young. However, there it is nowhere
asserted that either head of Pas looks just like Typhon...unless someone
is going to argue that the original Echidna had snakes in her hair and
Cilinia had squid arms.