(urth) Pike's ghost

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Nov 27 06:24:59 PST 2011

From: Sergei SOLOVIEV

I agree with Sergei – Typhon may well have come from off-Urth but he is human, or close enough for government work.

Even if he has psychic powers (I personally think he has near-supernatural charisma and leadership abilities) that doesn’t really disqualify him from being human I think.

It’s true that Severian makes much of his astonishment at Typhon, given that we would probably be less amazed by him than by other things Severian doesn’t make a fuss about,  But he never mentions anything else strange about him, and when you think about it, he does refer to “the flesh of humankind”.

A possibility occurs to me: do the people of Severian’s time recognise a constellation called Typhon, probably represented as a two-headed man?

- Gerry Quinn