(urth) Pike's ghost

Larry Miller decanus1284 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:12:22 PST 2011

Well I dont think that Typhons alien origin was common knowledge among
the people thus his comment in Urth where Severian is told by Typhons
guard not to speak of anything he sees inside Typhons chambers.
Typhon perhaps doesnt want the illusion that he is human shattered.
And there is hints in the Vingtners comments to Severian that the
people wish to overthrow Typhon.  I think hes an alien mainly because
of Wolfes naming strategum and some things that he says to Severian.
When telling him about his grafting to Piaton he mentions the solar
decay and says "I should have left then."  I think maybe hes refering
to escaping back to his homeworld.  His comments about "sending his
thoughts into far places" are a reference to some psychic abilities he
has (and I know there are those on here that disagree).  And theres
Severians initial description of the newly resurrected Monarch.
"...it was as though one of the monstous constellations of the night
sky had fallen to Urth and clothed itself in the flesh of humankind."