(urth) chenille

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 14:35:35 PST 2011

Marc Aramini wrote (26-11-2011 21:51):

>   "I see I have confused the rings.
>>> The one I am wearing is not the one Sewrack gave me,
>>> although it resembles it closely.
>>> This is Oreb's ring. It seems the stone changes color
>> when
>>> it is worn; it was originally
>>> much darker, surely."
>>>

> Every single attempt to make an assertive claim in Short Sun is defeated by the narrator: big woman drinking when fed upon causes Jahlee to resemble chenille, Horn's ring shows up, (two things from Green make it plausible) later, narrator says he was wrong, might not be Horn's ring (take away one thing from Green, implausible again).
>
> Very frustrating.  Have to choose between ignoring first description of ring and probably reason for Jahlee being called Chenille or accepting second reason (different ring) and different reason for Jahlee being called Chenille (mother fed on Chenille and drunken woman reinforced it)
>
> I think the implied salvation of Chenille is cool and that the second id of the ring is wrong, but I certainly see why NO ONE can make any definitive claims about Short Sun, there are a whole lot of contrdictary symbols and signals.

But again, where is it said that Chenille's children were murdered? I recall
a mention by Jahlee that someone told her and other inhumi to do it, but I
don't even understand when/where that might have taken place. Unless it was
on Blue.

If Oreb's ring is not Seawrack's ring, we must wonder where it came from -
Oreb just seeing it shine in the middle of a clearing is unsatifsying.