(urth) Pike's ghost

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Nov 24 04:49:39 PST 2011

From: Larry Miller

On 11/23/11, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

> > I don't recall Silk's theorising. But there *is* actually a connection
> > between Mucor and Pike: she is his granddaughter, even if fewer realise it
> > than Wolfe expected. Could that be the purpose of Pike's ghost?

> Silks theorising on Mucor and Pike occurs near the end of Lake Ch. 9.
> And Mucor is not actually Bloods daughter thus there is no familial
> relation to Pike.
Ah yes – I have read it now.  Interesting that Silk no longer mentions Oreb, probably writing him off as appearing only in his imagination.  Instead he thinks that Mucor’s appearance somehow made Pike’s possible, and that she, rather than Pike, made the noises upstairs afterwards.
I think Silk is right, and that the connection may be that she is Pike’s grandaughter.  True, she is not genetically related to him, but in Long Sun Wolfe clearly treats adoptive relationships as similar in significance to genetic ones, so I don’t think that matters.
Marble certainly refers to Mucor as her grandaughter, and she is even less genetically related to Mucor than Pike is!
Maybe Pike’s ghost is a clue set by Wolfe to point towards Blood being Pike’s son.
- Gerry Quinn