(urth) Like a good Neighbor

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Nov 23 13:18:59 PST 2011

On 11/23/2011 3:45 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 1:25 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> When Horn clears the sewer, is that his real body or a dream one?
>
> Hmm...I've always considered it a dream state. Was there an inhumi
> nearby? I must ponder.

Well, they had just landed and were put underground by the inhumi. So
there may have been somewhere.

>> I note the Neighbor tells him during that episode that there are two
>> of him: I assume Horn and Neighbor. Is that right?
>
> Possibly. There was that guy the he shook hands with at the meeting
> with the Neighbors. Post the quote.

p63: "How many of us are there?" the man with the black sword asked. He
looked about him as he spoke, and saw no one.

"There are two of you," the man of the Vanished People said; and as he
did, the man with the black sword saw a corpse face down in the water.

Either "the man with the black sword" is two people or he counts almost
as a corpse to the Neighbor. Ambiguous!

>> The narrator seems to make up things Horn would not likely do, like
>> pray at the Vanished Goddess's altar. Is that right?
>
> That seems Neighborly. I doubt it would convinced the unconvinced.

I was thinking Silkly, but that's better! Silk would understand it
though, and tell it like that even f he wasn't there.

>> Finally, Incanto recalls a dream in which he (Horn) is in the pit.
>> When he wakes, he is in his father's shop. Do you make sense of that?
>
> Post the quote.

p58: I was in the pit, sitting in the middle of it as I actually did for
so many hours. [He's reading the Writings, sees Scylla, and reveals it's
a dream.]

I sat up and stared around at the little stationery shop as if I had
never seen paper or ledgers before; and in the [sic] precisely the same
voice Oreb exclaimed ... "Watch out!"

Oreb may be in the dream as well, using Scylla's voice, but it's not
clear. It would make sense if it were all just a Horn dream, mixed with
a Silk dream.