(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 12:38:00 PST 2011

> *From:* James Wynn <mailto:crushtv at gmail.com>
> *> *Additionally, HePenSheep says that the Neighbors fires are
> > burning liannas.
>
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
> Are you sure?  I can't find the reference.

Well, admittedly it is not emphatic. But it was the reading I gleaned
from the following exchange:

****************
He nodded solemnly. "Afraid Neighbor-man." When I asked what a
Neighbor-man was, he laughed and pointed to the ring Seawrack had given
me. "You Neighbor-man."
"Many Neighbor here," his wife told Seawrack. She paused to moisten the
sinew with which she sewed, running it through her mouth. "Build many
fire. Neighbor-man," she pointed to me, "come, talk Neighbor."
I indicated the wilderness of sand and scrub through which we had walked
for most of the day. "Are there many Neighbors down there?"
Without looking up from her sewing, she nodded emphatically. "Many
Neighbor. Many fire."
Her son displayed both palms. "No kill Neighbor."
His father laughed again. "He no kill. Change blood Neighbor," to which
he added what seemed to be several sentences in a tongue that I had
never heard before.
"Neighbor kill you?" I suggested.
He shook his head. "Kill inhumu."
~OBW, chptr 11
***************

Additionally, burning seems to be the most widely understood as the
effective way of killing an inhumi:

An inhuma was caught last night, and today I was forced to watch as she
was buried alive. There is no trial for these monsters, and
understandably so---we burn them in New Viron...
~OBW, chapter 4

*********
Inhumi are burned alive in Skany...
~OBW, chpt 10