(urth) Pike's ghost

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Wed Nov 23 11:45:41 PST 2011

From: James Wynn
  There is no precedence for Mucor possessing and animal to travel to a
  location and then "chaining" into an astral appearance. Given her
  apparent powers, I can't imagine why such a thing would even be
  necessary. This is a theory utterly without foundation. It has a feel of
  desperation about it. I do not like.

  It is not that the appearances of Pike's ghost, or Mucor, or Oreb in the
  window is a such a big problem on their own. The problem is their near
  simultaneous appearance, and the surrounding facts. Any serious theory
  on this event needs to explain how the appearance of all three fit
  together. Mucor and Oreb are linked by being in the room together when
  Silk awakes. The likelihood that Oreb is astral connects them both to
  the Rajan. The subsequent appearance of Pike's ghost acting more like
  something from "The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini" than "Wuthering
  Heights" or "A Christmas Carol" makes him plausibly associated with the
  Rajan (whom we haven't seen previously but must be there unless Oreb
  lied about being in the room).
Or unless there was some other reason for Silk thinking he saw Oreb. At least two have been proposed.

If Oreb isn’t an astral traveller, there’s no link to the Rajan at all. Silk doesn’t see the Rajan; he sees Pike. [And unlike the case with Oreb, he sees him in the light.  Granted he’s a ghost, but still...]

Your argument depends on Silk unerringly recognising Oreb in the dark, Oreb being an astral traveller, and Silk completely failing to recognise his 43-year old one-eyed self in the light, and thinking instead that he sees his 70+ year old predecessor.  Oh, and astral travel involving time-travel (so long as it’s meaningless time travel).

Is my theory so “utterly without foundation” and “desperate” by comparison?

- Gerry Quinn