(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:43:48 PST 2011

On 11/22/2011 11:45 AM,
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> A nice metaphor – but I’m not trying to torture you, Marc.  I just don’t
>> think the books support the notion that inhumi are vegetables.
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> I don't know whether the inhumi _are_ the lianas or not, but I think
> it's beyond clear that there is _some_ vital connection between them.

Let me take another shot at their connection (although I don't think I'm
there yet):

The Neighbors are trees. Not like the Ents of Tolkien. They are like
dryads. As their bodies sleep (particularly in the winter) they
dream-travel in the form that "Horn" encounters them during his meeting
and in the pit. In that form, they built cities and technology and
traveled to Green, bearing their seeds with them. If a Neighbor dies in
dream-travel, the same thing happens as happens for humans. Their soul
is dead but their body lives on. A tree body can grow for hundreds of
years and (presumably) reproduce without a soul. Perhaps their children
have no souls as well. On Green they encountered inhumi who fed on them.
Their children are ensouled by Neighbors. Now what will such a being do?
Perhaps they will lay in wait for a Neighbor to come along, but in the
meantime, they will not disguise themselves with makeup and old clothes.
Instead, they assume a woody form as they go without food, leaning on
the Neighbors sleeping bodies.

There is a problem with this model: It is suggested that the Rajan needs
an inhumi to dream-travel. That's why he needs his staff. On the other
hand, maybe that isn't the case.