(urth) Pike's ghost

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:58:22 PST 2011

> James Wynn wrote:
>> ** If it seems that Wolfe did not provide enough clues for this,
>> remember that this is the same thing as Auk kidnapping Hy for
>> sacrifice and then realizing that "she was not the woman he was
>> supposed to bring." There was no explanation of _that_internal
>> struggle either.
>
> David Stockhoff wrote:
> That was indeed a strange moment, seemingly at right angles to what
> the surface story required.

I should say that this event straddle's both my readings that Incus is
female** and that Hy is the inhuma, Fava, in dream-travel.
Hy was not the woman he should bring, but Incus was.

**Incidentally, recalled this statement by Incus in "Calde of the Long Sun":
"I was born some _seven years_ after my youngest sibling, Femur.
Conceive of my parents' _delight_, I invite you, when the passing
_days, weeks, months_, and _years_ showed ever
more plainly my _predilection_ for a life of _holy contemplation_, of
_worship_ and _ritual_, far from the _bothersome exigencies_ that trouble
the hours of most men."

"Femur" in Latin is //feminis// which also means "woman".
Assuming I am correct, this is another out-of-narrative hint (there seem
to be only those for this) that Incus is female.