(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Nov 22 05:34:16 PST 2011

From: Marc Aramini

> In theory, I don't mind Gerry's skepticism; everyone has their roles.
>
> Yet the weirdest accusation was leveled at me today when Wolfe's
> grocery list came up today: that I would turn potatoes into a left handed s
> ocket wrenches.  But Gene DID write me a very simple three word sentence
>  that is a noun, a linking verb, and a predicate nominative, and I, contrary
> to that accusation, was the only person in the universe to take it at face
> value instead of taking it as some engineering joke, a metaphor, etc.  I
> feel like hard nosed metaphorical dismissal of evidence is more like
> turning a potato into something else - not what I do.  I believe in symbols
> of course, but those symbols are something more than just useless metaphor,
> they can be applied to shape character with their hard, defining edges.
A little joke, and not directed just as you.
There would have to be a spot on the paper that if you looked closely seemed like a left-handed can-opener.  That’s how you’d know the potatoes were just misdirection and trickery.

> Don't you remember the literary technique Severian talked about?  A torturer
> paid by one side to make it quick, the other to make it painful, and by positioning
>  them just right, he succeeds - thus does Wolfe speak of narrative, and I see it
> on this board, (until time holds my own severed head up for inspection.)

A nice metaphor – but I’m not trying to torture you, Marc.  I just don’t think the books support the notion that inhumi are vegetables.

- Gerry Quinn