(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:28:55 PST 2011

>Sergei Soloviev: People who insist that Horn died in the pit apparently never lost
>consciousness themselves - and do not remember how often in literature it is compared
>to death.  And what about people in so called "vegetable state"?

I am wondering if this "vegetative state" is your explanation for Jesus' death and

resurrection 3 days later. Nothing wrong with that explanation, but I don't think

that's the point WOlfe is trying to make in this story. Quite the opposite.

Gerry is working as a covert atheist warrior, and thus can be expected to try to argue

away all wisps of myth and religion wherever he may find them, including Wolfe stories.

I don't get the sense you are operating with the same goals, Sergei.

It is nice of you to side with the "underdog" btw. That is a caring, sympathetic stance.

But do be aware that the roles were reversed only a few short years ago. Anyone attempting

to investigate the deeper structure of these works was quickly shouted down by a chorus of

Gerry types.

A heroic effort rescued the board from those days. It was pretty bad. It could go weeks and

months without anything of greater substance than notice of an article about Wolfe in some

SF magazine. If the pendulum swings too far in the "creative" direction and the board becomes

filled with Gerry's greatest fear-"unthought out drivel", things will swing back. But right

now I think there is a nice balance of thought and criticism.

Don't you?

> On 11/21/2011 5:38 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
>> Maybe, except that James and I actually can't stand each other for
>> political reasons. ;)

> James WynnAnd I'm so dense I didn't even realize I was supposed to do that.

Heh. That's pretty funny! But isn't political disagreement between you two expected,

given your respective home states? ;- )