(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:53:06 PST 2011

On 11/21/2011 3:43 PM, Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote:
> People who insist that Horn died in the pit apparently never lost
> consciousness
> themselves - and do not remember how often in literature it is
> compared to death.
> And what about people in so called "vegetable state"?
> Is it easy to distinguish even medically? Some awake after many years
> (without outside help!).
> Some are killed legally.

I don't know what to say to this, Sergei.
I think people who claim that Seawrack was wrong need to explain why
Wolfe would have her make such a false diagnosis in the first place.
After all, he could have just had Horn get separated from Seawrack and
Babbie, to allow his encounter with Krait.
Additionally, they need to explain why the text is justified at the end
of Chapter 8, entitled "The End".

***************
Very suddenly I was falling into darkness.

Here and thus baldly I had intended to end both tonight’s labor and this
whole section of my narrative. I wiped this new quill of Oreb’s and put
it away, shut up the scuffed little pen case I found where my father
must have left it in the ashes of our old shop, and locked the drawer
that holds this record, a thick sheaf of paper already.

But it cannot be. It cannot be a mere incident like Wijzer’s drawing his
map and the rest. Either that fall must be the end of the entire work
(which might be wisest) or else it cannot close at all.

So let me say this to whoever may read. With that fall, the best part of
my life was over. The pit was its grave.