(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 08:54:09 PST 2011

>David Stockhoff: For that matter, it is really easy to imagine the Green Man
>(Man of Green?) in his natural habitat, behaving very much like a faun. He's not
>quite a fairy, as those people are beings of power and pomp. Fauns have
>none.

Yes. But it sounds like you have a good sense of how Dionysus, Pan and fauns
of the Greeks evolved through the Roman, spread across Europe and eventually became
such characters as Oberon, Titania and Puck for a certain Elizabethan playwright.

>Neighbors do seem to be a little of both. I'm skeptical of conflating
>them, but fauns are plainly an important literary forerunner to the Sun
>Cycle.

Skeptical you should be. That's what Wolfe wants. Horn describes the Neighbor's hand
as hard and with short stiff hairs. Then he says, "I will say no more". Meaning there
is more to say. But if Wolfe says it, it will render his work ridiculous, in his own
eyes.

I mean, what if Wolfe had said "the hand had a resemblance to a cloven hoof, the eyes
had a vertical slit pupil. Short horns sprouted behind the ears and there was a bleat to
his voice as he sang a greek hymn and drank from his jug of wine"?

That's the sort of thing that might make Gerry happy but Wolfe wouldn't have made such
avid devotees of readers such as you and me and many others if he did stuff like that.

>Gerry Quinn: Interesting that you admit for the first time your history of personal attacks
>on me, rather than accusing me of what is your technique, not mine.  Why the change?

I detect a note of pain. My apologies Gerry, for any cutting, hurtful remarks I may have made.
>From your approach to addressing the posts of others, I thought that was your preferred means
of communication. I thought you were a warrior who relished battle on all levels. I will try
hard to be more aware of your sensitive, vulnerable side in the future.

>I shan’t comment further.

Good luck with that.