(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 06:19:17 PST 2011

>> I have no problem with your thoughts about angels, Entonio.
>> But Gene Wolfe does think they are higher than humans.

>Antonio Pedro Marques: Where did you get that?

The Wolfe quote about angels and Apheta was from the James Jordan interview,
toward the end. http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2tmhh/wolfejbj.html#urth2

>>Horn died in the pit.

>I think that view is untenable, and I support my contention with events described
>in the text, not chapter titles and formatting.

I respect your view, Gerry and have no interest in changing it. The issue, as always,
is whether you respect the views of others or not and that you find the need for
others to change their view to yours.

I don't understand why chapter titles and formatting are not part of the text for you.
The first definition I find is:
>text: a (1) : the original words and form of a written or printed work.
In allseriousness, I think you miss much if you don't read the chapter titles. Wolfe
makes important use of them.

>If I were Marc, I should be far less offended by those who honestly disagree with his
>theories [which indeed to many of us are seriously out to lunch, and we honestly say so]
>than by your apparent belief that he can be manipulated into becoming a proxy warrior for
>your attempts to render this list a comfortable environment for torrents of un-thought out
>drivel.
>I have noted also your recent attempts to get Marc to change his theory so it becomes vague,
>ambiguous, meaningless, and therefore hard to falsify. If you were honest, you’d instead have
>told him what you think is right about it and what you think is wrong with it.

I don't think you are very good at understanding Marc, Gerry. But I do think that was a very
honest post on your part by calling his theories "out to lunch" and a "torrent of unthought
out drivel". I can see why you don't find those insulting words to be offensive. You, yourself,
seem to relish and thrive on personal attacks against you so it makes sense that you are trying
to follow The Golden Rule.

You also honestly make it clear you hope to make this an uncomfortable environment for certain
people. I really appreciate that blunt statement of your intentions and goals here. It is what
I've been saying about you for a while and I appreciate your affirmation. This "sowing seeds of
discontent among your enemies" is a new tactic for you Gerry. It will be interesting where you
go with it.

Marc and I differ mostly on one key point. He views the Sun Series as depicting the
chronological and spiritual future of our own earth. I view it as an alternate universe
which depicts our spiritual past in a futuristic light.

This small difference leads to a number of interesting disagreements on interpretation. We
have discussed this and there is no dishonesty involved. Moreover, I have no interest in
making this board and uncomfortable environment for him because, 1. his insights and
observations increase my own understanding; 2. I like the guy, as much as that has meaning
in this forum. He is pleasant, thoughtful and intelligent. Why would I ever want to chase him
(or anyone else) away?