(urth) Like a good Neighbor

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Nov 20 17:17:46 PST 2011

From: James Wynn

> But if Seawrack did not *truly* believe Horn was
> dead--because she had some genuine reason solid reason for believing he
> was dead--then I have never read a Wolfe story.

She knows nothing about human life except that humans die easily and are eaten.  She saw it happen her human, and she turned away without investigating.  She didn’t go down in the pit.  How *could* she have known he was dead?

> I honestly cannot imagine why there is any debate on this issue. This is
> about as emphatic a signal that Wolfe offers.

We have the testimony of Horn himself, who clearly was not dead.  When do you think he died, exactly?  When he fell?  At a certain point when he was lying there?  Did the Neighbour – if it was a Neighbour - kill him when he touched his forehead with his device?

> Arguing
> about whether Horn died when he fell in to the pit? Come on. Seawrack is
> the witness. She doesn't even feel the need to justify her assessment
> even after Horn return alive. She's been a carrion eater. She knows dead
> things.

Get real.  She didn’t get within twenty feet of him.  Silk thought Oreb was dead when he had him right in his hands, and he’s a professional animal sacrificer.  Do you think Oreb was dead then?  Smart bird!  Play dead.  No cut!

- Gerry Quinn