(urth) Fwd: Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 19:51:08 PST 2011

On 11/19/2011 9:22 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> I don't understand what's the harm for your explanatory framework of having Horn's and Silk's spirits still there.

It depends on what you mean by "spirit". For many people a person's
"spirit" or "soul" are mere systemic arrangements and typically that is
the way Wolfe presents them as well. Thus Typhon is truly ON the Whorl
in the form of Pas; Severian can be copied, the original destroyed, and
*he* continues. The Short Sun is different. On the Whorl, the Rajan
speaks to Hound about the soul in purely classical terms...as a man
living in a house.

One could imagine the Neighbor /possessing/  Horn...both of them in
Horn's body at once. But then, when Horn's body is destroyed, the whole
thing becomes very cumbersome when the Neighbors send him to Silk. Why
would they send both of them to Silk? It is far simpler to imagine one
simple mechanism. Horn dies. The Neighbor enters. Silk dies. The
Neighbor enters.