(urth) Like a good Neighbor

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 18:16:19 PST 2011

On 11/19/2011 5:42 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> James has it
> that Horn's spirit died in the pit, along with the body, but the body was
> repaired and a Neighbor's spirit replaced Horn's. In the latter case, who
> brutally raped Seawrack, soon after getting out of the pit? A good Neighbor?

1) Seawrack was designed to be irresistible.
2) Why do you find it impossible that Neighbors would be fallible?

You don't need me to point these things out. Why be provocative?

> While staying at Inclito's house, Silkhorn was yet again contacted by Mucor,
> sans body, to tell him that Babbie had come back to her and Marble. She
> greeted Silkhorn with, "There you are, Silk. There you are, Horn. I've been
> looking everywhere for you." (IGJ, 146-47) Did she not know who she was
> talking to, close to two years after sending her spirit to the Long Sun
> Whorl to search for Silk at Horn's behest?

If she did, she apparently didn't feel the need to greet him, because
they weren't friends. Maybe she didn't know his name. Maybe she doesn't
know all there is to know about Neighbors. Maybe the only reason she
knows that Horn is there is because she has already met the Rajan during
her mission to the Whorl. So she has some background information.

> At the end of IGJ, Silkhorn was visited by two Neighbors. He asked them,
> "Will the inhumi really drive us away as they did you?" He was answered
> with, "You cannot go where we are." (381) At this point, Silkhorn had made
> astral trips to both Green and Urth. If Silkhorn was being animated by a
> Neighbor at that time, one implication is that the Neighbors had not gone
> away to either Green or Urth when they left the Blue-Green solar system,
> regardless of whether or not Silkhorn possessed an innate Neighbor's assumed
> ability to travel astrally and/or in time.

I'll buy that.

> Another implication is that those two Neighbors didn't know that they were
> talking to a fellow Neighbor, which strikes me as strange since Neighbors
> knew where to find Horn in the pit, on Green and, apparently, Silk on the
> LSW, and Silkhorn there in Blanko territory and still later in Dorp.

Well, I hardly think those are the only two implications.
At least one other is that they know they are not talking to a Neighbor
nor a human but something utterly unique: a merging of the two. So they
were speaking about limitations reflected in his humanity.

Even if they didn't know they were talking to Neighborish entity (which
I doubt) and others did, what of it? Who says the Neighbors know
everything about each other's business? This is similar to Gerry's
refutation about the fact that the Rajan claimed to know something about
the Mother's  worshippers but not /everything/. You're human, Roy. So
obviously you know everything about the church services of Primitive
Baptists or the Bahai.

J.