(urth) no subject

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sat Nov 19 15:48:59 PST 2011

On 11/19/2011 8:43 AM, Larry Miller wrote:
> If I remember right isnt there a point in Urth of New Sun where
> Severian goes inside the planet of Yesod in something akin to an
> elevator?

An open platform that descends, yes.

> As ridiculous as it may sound is it possible that the
> planet of Yesod could be the Whorl after its departure from the
> Blue/Green system?

There is no particular thickness of natural rock visible inside the
machine planet, only human-like figures and mobile machines tending
stationary machines. Apheta claims it was created from Yesod's
white-hole energy and matter for Yesodi settlement. There is also the
statement and the appearance that the machine planet is Urth-size or
larger, and massive enough to produce earth-like conditions on its
exterior.

It might be barely possible that the Hierogrammates escaped from Briah
in a previous iteration of the Whorl, and some of that materials was
incorporated into the machine planet, but IIRC that occasion was untold
billions of years in future time, when the universal expansion had
separated galaxies from one another. The Whorl might still exist then as
an asteroid, but it is unlikely the accomodations would be useful or
reognizeable after that time.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >