(urth) Fwd: Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 07:46:01 PST 2011

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: (urth) Fwd: Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy
> Date: Saturday, November 19, 2011, 6:31 AM

> > António Pedro Marques wrote:
> > ??? Personality, of course! Weren't you just a while
> ago claiming that that were where chems' personalities had
> come from, real people but without their memories?
>
> Sure. But, investigating the connection between memory and
> identity the common thread in Wolfe's fiction--the question
> of _who_ we are aside from our physical minds.

Yeah, but the nieghbors get permission to come back to Blue from the representative of humanity, that's the role Horn plays both there and later when he cuts through the mess of bodies to free up the sewer (IMO).

The identity confusion between memory and identity is already present in Horn, Silk, and rebooted Silver Silk - does having Horn be a neighbor after the pit follow Horn's role as representative of humanity, or are the neighbors then asking one of their own to return?  I really really think Horn has to be at least somewhat human after that for that scene to have any meaning.