(urth) Birds, bees, mind-wipes

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Nov 18 09:37:01 PST 2011

From: James Wynn
> Gerry Quinn wrote:

  >>Who was scanned to make Olivine, and how was the scan arranged?  Chems talk
  >>to Silk about reproduction once or twice, and nobody mentions this part.

>That's a very good question. Equally puzzling is that chems can't create replacement
> parts but two of them can build a whole chem from scratch. I presume a new chem's
>  personality is some kind of merging from its parents.

It’s not so easy:

[Marble] “We had begun a child, a daughter.” She sighed again. “It was hard, dreadfully hard, to find parts, or even things we could make them from. We never got far with her, and I don’t suppose she’ll ever be born unless my husband takes a new wife, poor little thing.”

It doesn’t say where the personality comes from.  In principle one of the needed parts could be a disk with somebody’s modified scan data, but I don’t know of anything to support the idea.

- Gerry Quinn