(urth) H'mmm

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 06:04:35 PST 2011

>Marc Aramini: It's not that they grow up to be animals, its that they hybridize
>with a genetic template to survive and pass on the conjoined genetic material,
>something which IS seen in the mating of inhumi....vegetable become animal through
>transubstantiation, the meaning of the eucharist: grapes become blood.

I'm completely with Marc on this. Brilliant analogy. The connection between inhumi and
lianas (and trees and Neighbors) is primarily spiritual. There is a biological connection
implied because the entire Sun Series has a devotion to the premise that there is a
scientific level of understanding to all spiritual things. Think Dr. Crane's burst blood
vessel explanation for an epiphany. Crane may be right but he misses the point: the flesh
participates in experiential events but the spirit is what matters most.

It is unfair to try to pin Marc down to explain the specifics of the biological connection
between vines and inhumi when the text obviously doesn't supply them. This is akin to the
dismissive strategies of our resident Atheist Warriors in here. If there is no hard science
explanation for something, it doesn't exist.

Wolfe has called the Thecla feast in BotNS a "diabolical eucharist". He has also said that
evil only exists as a distorted form of good. Traditional vampires pass their essence to
their victims but Wolfe adds the reverse process to his inhumi, showing that he recognizes
the power of the vampire myth resides in its nature as a diabolical eucharist.

Wine to blood, vines to inhumi, Dionysus to Christ. The comparisons are not so hard to see.
And, if we are attuned to Wolfe's deeper message, we are not to dismiss spirituality or its
basis, just because current scientific knowledge does not explain it.