(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:28:26 PST 2011

> *From:* James Wynn <mailto:crushtv at gmail.com>
> > No. *According to the text* Silk saw *Oreb*. He only doubted himself
> > based on the fact that "it made no sense" since Oreb couldn't fly. Then
> > he collects a series of other rationalizations.
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
> In the darkness.  In the faint skylight from a curtained window.  But
> he "saw" him so it must have been Oreb no matter what absurdly
> contrived explanation we have to make to justify it.  That's just
> silly literalism.

"Silly literalism"? Is this sarcasm? Because taking a statement like
this from you as said earnest is really too much.

> > If none of your theories explains the second Oreb (or the something
> that
> > looked an awful lot like Oreb flying out the window) then they explain
> > nothing.
> A bird possessed by Mucor explains it, IMO.  It's the best I can do at
> the moment.

Not even good enough for you, huh?

> Now, how do you explain how a time travelling one-eyed Rajan looks
> like a 70+ year old Pike?

Having had posited a theory that Silk misidentified Oreb for an
alternate bird for which there is no foreshadowing or further mention in
the text, and having called it "silly literalism" to imagine that Silk
actually saw Oreb when he awoke and "saw Oreb"....I don't know why you
have a problem with it. Obviously Pike looks a lot like an older Silk.
He has long white hair like the older Silk.  The older Silk has been
through it. So he has a few less wrinkles. Big deal. Unless he pulled
his eye socket open, Silk would not have noticed the missing eye. So I
don't get that objection. For that matter we don't KNOW how old the
Rajan is when Silk sees him. Maybe he's spent 20 years on the Whorl by
the time Silk sees him. Night choughs are clearly long lived.