(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:12:24 PST 2011

On 11/16/2011 6:44 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> *From:* James Wynn <mailto:crushtv at gmail.com>
>
> > Anyway, the presence of a "second" Oreb, means that the Rajan is there
> > nearby. And we *do* meet an "old man" (which is how people refer to
> him)
> > a short time later in Pike's room.
> Perhaps Silk is right about Oreb jumping down to the kitchen garden.
> Or perhaps there is some other explanation for what he saw (seemingly
> a bird, behind a curtain, flying out an open window).
> But one thing stands out here.  Whatever they call him in Gaon, the
> Rajan is 43.  When Pike died, he had a son who was over 50.

Okay. He's a squinty-eyed forty-three year old with long white hair
whose appearance is marginally affected by the way the thinks of himself.
And who is Silk's mentor? Pike.

IMO, what is established is that Pike's ghost was the Rajan. Believing
the Wolfe the author intended that Oreb hopped  into Silk's room, jumped
out the window, and then steadfastly lied about it is simply not
tenable. That's not a Wolfe story. That's not anybody's story.

If you have an alternate explanation, I'm all ears. Andrew Mason has
posed that maybe it was Quetzal. I can't imagine that would appeal to
you since *wouldn't Wolfe has followed that up with some comment about
it*? And, anyway, could Quetzal have been mistaken for a night chough?
Still, if you have an better explanation of auctorial intent, I'm ready
to consider it. Mine attempts to explain everything going on that night.

J.