(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 10:50:29 PST 2011

--- On Wed, 11/16/11, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

> From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
> Subject: Re: (urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy
> Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2011, 10:43 AM
> Marc Aramini wrote:
> >I am very very confident the majority of Horn goes into
> Babbie when he says
> farewell, and it explains Babbie's huh huh huh and behavior
> when he see's
> Horn's son on Rttw, throwing down the guy who attacks
> him.<
>
> I wrote the following last January but decided not to send
> it. I do so now,
> unchanged, because the subject has come up again.
>
> -------------------
>
> Marc, you have repeated several times why you think the
> Horn in Silkhorn
> somehow was removed and sent into Babbie at the end of OBW,
> and why Babbie's
> manifestation in spirit travel makes you think Horn's
> spirit is in him; the
> tusks you call horns, being protective of Hoof, etc. We've
> argued that in
> the past, so I won't address that now. But there are other
> issues that must
> follow from that premise.
>
> First of all, Babbie's spirit-travel body looks generally
> like a man's body,
> but not quite. His hands aren't really hands; his hands
> have only two big
> fingers, suggestive of his normal cloven hooves (RTTW,
> 354). And he wears
> glasses (346). Yet the spirit-traveler's body is supposed
> to be a
> manifestation of how that person perceives himself to be at
> his core, in his
> heart, if you will. Horn never wore glasses.
>
> Babbie returned to Mucor weeks after the incident at the
> Nadi at the end of
> OBW. Mucor contacted Silkhorn and asked him if he "still
> wanted" Babbie
> (IGJ, 280). Silk himself had never so much as laid eyes on
> Babbie and knew
> of Babbie only by way of the Horn in Silkhorn. Babbie
> finally came to
> Silkhorn weeks later in Dorp.
>
> At the end of RTTW, after Remora's exorcism, Silk abandoned
> Babbie and
> eventually returned to the LSW. Babbie returned to the
> woods on Main (per
> Hoof) or to Mucor (per Vadsig, 345). Either way, why didn't
> he hang around
> New Viron to look after Horn's sons? What did Remora's
> exorcism accomplish,
> if not to knock the Horn out of Silkhorn?
>
> -Roy

Scylla in Oreb looks like a mix between a big fat crow and something more humanistic, but defintely not purely like the human.  Animals possessed don't seem to look purely human.  Why the violent reaction to Horn's son's physical distress?  He reacts as a father should when his son is threatened in RttW