(urth) Babbiehorn?: Was: a sincere question mostly for roy

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 10:17:30 PST 2011

On 11/16/2011 12:07 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> The entire tone shift "I should have said how nice he smiled and how positive he was" in paraphrase at the end of OBW - it's very clear what has happened.  Horn was a negative unlikeable guy. Silk positive.

I think this viewpoint is an aspect of how Wolfe chose to tell the story
and the fact that the reader does not realize during OBW all that has
occurred before. Horn's relationship is quite close with Sinew based on
how Sinew speaks him. But the narrator at that time is not *merely* Horn
however one interprets his resurrection. The narrator addressing Horn's
attitude to Sinew is viewing him as the one who rebelled on Green and
killed Horn's body. To him, Sinew is a judas.  How else is Horn
portrayed as unlikeable? He was entrusted with the mission to find Silk.
Marrow's conversation with him seemed affable. Mucor seems to respect him.

At the end of OBW, the narrator is reconciled to Sinew in his own heart.
Thus, what he says about Sinew has a change of tone as well.