(urth) Charles de Lint

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Nov 15 17:23:04 PST 2011

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Antonin Scriabin wrote:

> I really enjoyed the two novels I have read by Gene Wolfe that take place
> in "our" world, where magical elements may or may not be bleeding in (Peace
> and The Sorcerer's House).  I am going to get to his others soon, like
> Castleview and Pandora by Holly Hollander.  I was wondering if anyone had
> read Charles de Lint, and if they would recommend his books.  Are they
> along the same lines as the two Wolfe books I mentioned, as to the "type"
> of story?  Is he a good writer, or not worth the time?  I was intrigued by
> several of his books on a recent bookstore outing, and might pick them up
> if he is worth it.  Thanks!

He is not bad.  I have read several of his books from our library and
enjoyed them, but I don't own any of his books (cf Wolfe where I own a few
;)), and I'm afraid I don't recall any particular favourites.  If you have
read Emma Bull's _The War of the Oaks_ you will see the model for most of
de Lint's books - less slippery than Wolfe when he has used the same
ideas eg Faerie in America, war in Faerie.

Just 2c, David Duffy.