(urth) Hunter of the East

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:00:47 PST 2011

Now I'm going to have to do some Nashian verse, aren't I?

This is a poem to celebrate Gene,
who writes books that are difficult and modern but rarely obscene.
Some people dislike books Lupine,
but I think they're divine
even if I sometimes can't figure out what they mean.
But that problem is for me, not Gene.

He wrote about a torturer named Severian,
who had a memory that reminds me of a planarian,
because a planarian who eats another planarian that planarian's memory gains,
and so does Severian when he eats someone's brains.
This doesn't mean that Severian is a zombie or otherwise undead;
he just lives with a community inside his own head.

Aside from Severian there is also Able,
who is like a knight of the Round Table,
except that his table isn't round, and his king is Arnthor, not Arthur,
and Arthur's knights searched the whole world but Able went even farthur.
He declared himself a knight and went out to have adventures
though it turned out that he was in some sort of indentures.

Then there is Number Five
who somehow manages to survive
a long time in a prison or penitentiary.
His tale is pretty scary.
He thought he was living his life on his own,
but he was really just another clone.

Silk is the Patera of a poor manteion
that the rich of Viron wouldn't even bother to peion.
Of all Gene's main characters Silk is the nicest,
and the best place to startest if you takest my advicest;
He leads his people from a hopeless present to a hopeful futurity
but he himself turns into an obscurity.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 4:14 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
>>>
>>> David Stockhoff: Next up: Joyce Kilmer!
>>
>> Heh!
>>
>> I think that I shall never see
>> A poem lovely as a tree.
>>
>> A tree covered in parasitic vines
>> Neighbors and inhumi if you read the signs
>>

> The tree will soon become his prey
> Six-armed Gods, to fade away.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes