(urth) Violet = Plutonium?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:00:31 PST 2011

On 11/14/2011 7:54 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> aha! And then Violet could stay with Siyuf 2 to do the same for her,
> although whatever was planned didn't work to control her.

Siyuf 2 going off the rails was another example of a demon imitating a
god and in some sense becoming that god. This was probably for the same
reasons that General Mint says that if Spider has spies in her ranks,
they will still serve her by being forced to the best soldiers she has
to protect their identity. Siyuf 2 has to act to some degree as Siyuf
would. That is what the Vironese did not plan for. There are other
examples in the novel as well. For example, Lemur's chem becomes Lemur.
Horn becomes Silk. Quetzel dies protecting his flock. Incus becomes
prolocutor by telling everyone "he" is and acting as if it is so
(Quetzal conveniently dies, but then he was skipping town anyway).

In a subsequent novels...
In The Wizard Knight, Abel becomes a knight by acting as if he is one
already. He doesn't carry a sword because, in his mind, Disiri has
already given him one -- if he carried another, it would be
acknowledging that she has not.
In The Sorcerer's House, Bax begins caring for the house has if it is
his own. This is his plan to live there as if it is his own. Of course,
he soon inherits it.
In the Book of the Short Sun, a Neighbor seeks to become Horn by
devoting himself to his mission. (I'm not looking for an argument. It's
just that I'm quite sure this is the case.)