(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 20:24:32 PST 2011

> Jeff Wilson: Apollo not a hunter? God of the bow, stalker and slayer of the python,
tracker of stolen cattle, stalker and taker of infant Hermes, relentless pursuer of Daphne,

co-stalker and co-slayer of Niobe's children, cast in bronze at his Pompeii temple in the same

archery pose as his hunting goddess twin sister's bronze at her Pompeii temple?

That Apollo-not-a-hunter?

> Nick Lee: You may be overstating your point. Apollo's the god of archery. Wikipedia is as far

>as you need to go to find that out. Also, when *I* searched for Apollo+Hunter, this was the first link:
> http://www.infoplease.com/cig/mythology/night-hunters-artemis-apollo.html

>David Stockhoff: Nope, no hunting there, Just this:

>Both siblings would become associated with the skill of archery, and they enjoyed hunting together.

>It's definitely a secondary characteristic. But so are boobs.

I guess that's how I see it. The idea of ever calling Apollo "The Hunter" seems to be overstating the

case. He was an archer and he did some hunting and he did kill a snake once early on. But it wasn't his

lifestyle as it was for his sister. He seems more like a skeet shooter or a  British fox hunter-

"pip, pip and tally-ho!" or whatever they say. My point is that Apollo was a metrosexual in contrast

to his woodsy huntress sibling and is rarely labeled as a hunter.

FWIW, the other stuff is really stretching. Apollo didn't track Hermes and his stolen cattle by putting

his nose to the ground and sniffing. He just consulted an oracle and went where it told him. And

if chasing young men and women around in sexual ardor makes one a Hunter then half the Olympian

pantheon fits the bill.

.............just found-

What we've been pondering was from Fitzgerald's 1st Edition. Just from that, I thought Orion made a

better candidate as The Hunter than the sun, but I just found some snips from later versions of

Fitzgerald's translation of the Rubiyat with significantly different phrasing.  They seem to suggest

the Stone is the sun, (as usual, Wolfe is right) but also that the Hunter is the sun.

>2nd Edition

>Wake! for the Sun behind yon Eastern height
>Has Chased the Session of the Stars from Night:
>And, to the field of Heav'n ascending, strikes
>The Sultan's Turret in a Shaft of Light.

4th and 5th Edition

http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/fitzgerald/rubaiyat.html