(urth) vanished people=Hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Nov 11 15:12:16 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 4:11 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> David Stockhoff wrote:
>
>>> I think that's a very Western, modernist view of poetry, to which
>>> Khayaam probably did not subscribe.
>>>
>> But Khayaam didn't write the poem. Fitzgerald did.
> Well, he translated it, which is kind of like writing a whole new
> poem.

To that point, from http://www.humanistictexts.org/omar_khayyam.htm:

A sample comparison of the two translations from three of the more
famous verses:

Where Fitzgerald writes

/Awake! for Morning in the Bowl of Night/

/Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight:/

Graves and Ali-Shah write

/While Dawn, Day's herald straddling the whole sky, /

/Offers the drowsy world a toast “To Wine”, /