(urth) vanished people=Hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Nov 11 14:47:02 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 4:11 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> David Stockhoff wrote:
>
>>> I think that's a very Western, modernist view of poetry, to which
>>> Khayaam probably did not subscribe.
>>>
>> But Khayaam didn't write the poem. Fitzgerald did.
> Well, he translated it, which is kind of like writing a whole new
> poem. (Traductore, traduttore.) But even FitzGerald is a bit early for
> modernism, I believe.

That's true. But to be precise, it's not about poetry per se but about
metaphor. All metaphors invoke at least four meanings. If we say, Strike
off the head (of the beast), we invoke (1) a head (2) a beast's body (3)
Saddam or your favorite Hitler stand-in (4) Iraq or Al-Qaeda or
whatever. Every part has at least two meanings. There is a source word
and a target word and additionally a potentially hidden figurative means
or mechanism (in this case the body) by which to relate them, without
which the metaphor fails.

That's what I meant. This poem needs to get stuck on something to be
more than a clockwork of literal things: A strikes B strikes C and the
poem gets to its destination like a train "down the ringing grooves of
change." We have disparate images on top of one another describing two
events in parsimonious language that reuses some elements and introduces
others as it goes along. What caught Wolfe's ear?

Morning flings a stone into the bowl of night, setting stars to flight;
a hunter catches a tower in a noose of light. Both are Dawn, so we know
the stars fled the light. But they must connect in other ways too.
Together, they must describe a magical, contradictory, paradoxical
moment; they are not two views of a blackbird.

Where did the stone go? The stone is a means by which Morning causes the
stars to "flee" or vanish; it is part of the "bowl of night full of
stars" metaphor as James notes. It doesn't need to be Venus, or anything
else, but Venus is available, as is the sun. It doesn't need to be
anything in the second event, but it is awkward to imagine the stone
being a thing that is also in the second event, as Gerry notes---the sun
is clearly implied there by the word "light" and is nothing like a
stone. Venus is more like a stone. But again, it is not needed. For
Wolfe's purposes, both work great and I have no preference.

Where was Morning before she came? Morning precedes and follows the poem
as a personified process, encompassing it. She initiates and completes
the process that is herself. She is not quite present but she will be.

Where did the hunter come from? Night is still present in the second
event, robbed of its stars. Morning is not yet present, or else the
noose would be invisible: it is Night that makes the noose visible. What
else may persist? Unless the sun is known as a noose-hunter, it is
rather awkward to invoke a new metaphor or image not even fully imagined
until the last line (though the third line tells us he not a killer but
a catcher of things).

What does the sun catch but not kill? Perhaps the sun catches that which
it illuminates, but that's hard to read from "the Hunter in the East has
caught" if you don't react, "Oh, the Sun, that old Hunter in the East.
Of course." I argue that the Hunter is already there---and is known by
the reader to be there, because he's there all summer and fall---and has
snared his prey at the moment he himself disappears.

It is this paradoxical act of disappearing in plain sight---achieving
victory in defeat---invisibility in visibility---that the poem describes
as the moment of dawn. Wolfe turns it a bit inside out, but it works on
so many levels: the way evil works for good; the way the gods favor
those they would destroy; to see me, look!; the way all things turn into
other things; the way Severian saves Urth by destroying it in this very
book. The New Sun stuff just rams it home.