(urth) vanished people=Hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Nov 11 12:05:09 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 2:25 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: I think that one thing that has been missed in all this is
>> that we are told that, under the dying Old Sun, the stars are visible at midday.
>> So the "stone that puts the stars to flight" must be the _New_ Sun.
>

> An excellent point upon which I agree fully. Judging by their posts I think others
>
> might be at least grudgingly in agreement.

More than grudgingly! Either the stone is Severian and the New Sun and
Morning is the new "day" or Ushas (a heavy weight for the poem to bear),
or the stone is a presentiment or herald of the New Sun's coming, but
one that has no particular clear corresponding element in BotNS.

BTW, Skuld is only mentioned about 3 times: as "bright", as the World of
the Future, and in the following from URTH:

"A COCK crowed; and as the stone swung back, I saw the starry sky and
the single bright star (blue now with its velocity) that was myself. I
was whole once more. And near! Fair Skuld, rising with the dawn, was not
so brilliant and did not show so broad a disk."

Does anyone propose that Wolfe wrote the book around the poem? If not,
then the correspondence is going to be inexact at best---it is a
question with no final form and therefore no absolute answer. Here
Severian is both the New Sun and NOT the New Sun. Go figure.

It's already hard enough to interpret a poem in two versions; we can
hardly expect to map an unassailable, unambiguous interpretation from
them to another work. We are already moving across languages. In this
poem, we have only juxtapositions of images to work with.