(urth) vanished people=Hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Nov 11 07:54:17 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 9:11 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> quote Wolfe chose is drawn from the first edition of 1859, but the same
>> translator had in his fifth edition of 1889,

>> Wake! For the Sun, who scatter'd into flight
>> The Stars before him from the Field of Night,
>> Drives Night along with them from Heav'n, and strikes
>> The Sultan's Turret with a Shaft of Light.
>

> Good work, Jeff. I issue a challenge to those who still interpret "the Stone" as
>
> Venus to find a published interpretation of Kayaam which matches.

Why?

Note that the later version uses a military metaphor rather than
hunting. It's much simpler and more direct: The Sun rises triumphant in
battle, and maybe a little phallic too.

Since none of us read Persian, we have no choice but to accept these
wildly different versions. Maybe Orion is not really there at all, nor a
noose or net. There's no Bowl or other medium to transmit waves from a
flung Stone. There's no Morning to fling it. They are totally different.

But why would Wolfe use the more complex initial version if he intended
the meaning of the second?