(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 06:11:44 PST 2011

>Jeff Wilson: Larry Niven is not a particularly hard SF writer, and his planetary

>and biological sciences are a fairly weak area. He does have at least two
>marginally habitable planets with no oceans, and at least one habitable
>planet whose ocean is covered in green algae.

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate the feedback and accept any hard science SF author as a

substitute for Niven in my comparison. I guess I was trying to think of a story

where the scientific details of creating a planet are more important than the plot

and Ringworld came to mind.

>quote Wolfe chose is drawn from the first edition of 1859, but the same
>translator had in his fifth edition of 1889,

>Wake! For the Sun, who scatter'd into flight
>The Stars before him from the Field of Night,
>Drives Night along with them from Heav'n, and strikes
>The Sultan's Turret with a Shaft of Light.

Good work, Jeff. I issue a challenge to those who still interpret "the Stone" as

Venus to find a published interpretation of Kayaam which matches. I looked and didn't

find any but perhaps there are some to be found.

>Of course, Apollo is a hunter and was god of the sun along with arts and
>lyres and pythons, and probably more prominent in the mind of a
>classically educated Englishman than a muslim Afganistani.

This is off the mark. I did an Apollo+hunter search, just to check, and found mostly

statements to the contrary, "Apollo is not a hunter". That is mostly to make contrast

with his twin sister, Artemis/Diana the huntress and moon goddess. If "The Huntress"

had been used I think there would be a consensus that the moon was being referenced.

(FWIW, Orion was the chaste hunting companion of Artemis and was killed via the jealous

treachery of a bisexual Apollo).

Anyway, as you suggest, Jeff, Apollo was a god of the arts and learning and refinement

in contrast to his rough, woodsy sister. The urbane/rustic, sun/moon, light/dark,

male/female, patrifocal/matrifocal, Christian/pagan dichotomy persists to this day.