(urth) vanished people=hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Nov 10 16:09:04 PST 2011

On 11/10/2011 5:34 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

> Wolfe uses the quote in reference to Severian, The New Sun; Apu Punchau,
>
> the sun god. The stone is the sun. Severian is a Sun god in a Stone Town
>
> Why would Venus be relevant in those words in this context? (perhaps David has an idea....)
>

>> >David Stockhoff: I haven't worked this out at all, but it always seemed to
>> >me that the poet observes a specific night sky, with Orion, followed immediately by
>> >a dawn sky. And the implication to Wolfe must be the sweeping away of
>> >myths by the coming of Christ.
>

> Yes. I'm not sure but you might be on the right track and perhaps WOlfe is on that
>
> same track. The last star to be swept away by the sun each morning is the Morning Star
>
> which is an epithet for Lucifer.

Venus is the stone, that last star which precedes the sun. I have no
idea really, but if Venus is love and God is love---facts which do not
escape the author of Long Sun---well, then ....

I wouldn't put much weight on Lucifer's later identity as Satan though,
just its meaning of Light-Bringer (Sun-Bringer?). And there you go.