(urth) vanished people=Hieros

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Nov 10 13:31:35 PST 2011

On 11/10/2011 4:01 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 2:42 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> The noose of light around the turret would then be the dawn sunshine
>> lighting the top part of a tower (before the sun rises further and
>> lights the rest).  Of course the noose image is necessary to making
>> the Sun a hunter;
>
> Thinking about it, I think Gerry is the more right. The noose is the
> sun rising behind the sultan's tower.

> The Hunter might still be Orion, which at the time the poem is written
> is "behind" the path of the sun, still below the eastern horizon.

Why do you think this? Could Orion not be briefly visible? Could the sun
be rising right into Orion and the tower standing before his net?

I haven't worked this out at all, but it always seemed to me that the
poet observes a specific night sky, with Orion, followed immediately by
a dawn sky. And the implication to Wolfe must be the sweeping away of
myths by the coming of Christ.