(urth) vanished people=Hieros

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 12:48:13 PST 2011

>> >  Awake! for Morning in the Bowl of Night
>> >  Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight:
>> >  And Lo! the Hunter of the East has caught
>> >  The Sultan's Turret in a Noose of Light.
>> >
> Lee Berman wrote:
> I think The Hunter is Orion and the Noose of Light is the Big Dipper. The Sultan's
> Tower is just that. A tall structure in Omar Kayaam's field of vision as he gazes
> at the star-spangled early dawn sky.

You are right that the Hunter is Orion. The Noose could be the
Hesperides,  the constellation of stars (often numbered 5, 7, or more)
just to the right of Orion's shield or staff. Often these are associated
as Orion's net. If they are the noose, then you could well be right the
the Sultan's Tower could be a physical structure against the night sky.

Or the noose could be the Milky Way that encircles the Earth like the
Midgard Serpent.  The Milky Way is held by Orion's upraised arm. If that
is the noose, then the Sultan's turret is the night sky itself.