(urth) vanished people=Hieros

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 09:54:52 PST 2011

> *From:* James Wynn <mailto:crushtv at gmail.com>
>
> >   What if Blue is Verthandi and it has over time moved to a more
> distant
> > orbit?
>
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
> Not that I believe a word of this, but why is everyone talking about
> Verthandi?  If Blue is somehow a planet of the Solar System it surely
> has to be Skuld.  The surface gravity of Verthandi is only a third of
> Urth's, and somebody would have noticed.

Why? The wakers had never been on Urth. The sleepers arrived at Blue
only via the Whorl and then a weightless voyage to on a lander. You
would have to affirm that the gravity for the Cargo on the Whorl was the
same as that on Urth. There is no evidence either way.

Aside from relative position of Blue to Green that makes Verthandi a
candidate for Blue in a Green Urth system, there are thematic
connections between Blue and Verthandi as well:
* See Edgar Rice Burrough's "Princess of Mars". (The Whorl is also
analogous to Burrough's "Pelucidar".)
* See Lan Wright's "The Last Hope of the Earth" (colonization of Mars,
floating islands of plants, hyacinths, a generation star ship)

>  Ah, I think you are mistaking the names of Wolfe's planets.
> Verthandi is Mars, Skuld is Venus, which at least has gravity similar
> to Earth.

Not at all.  Moving Skuld's orbit to outside of Urth's would be
problematic in the extreme.