(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Thu Nov 10 09:36:38 PST 2011

From: James Wynn

> Q: How did the wildlife of Blue become so alien?
> A: Because the evolved on Verthandi in the very distant past before it
> lost its atmosphere.

Not that I believe a word of this, but why is everyone talking about Verthandi?  If Blue is somehow a planet of the Solar System it surely has to be Skuld.  The surface gravity of Verthandi is only a third of Urth’s, and somebody would have noticed.

> > The man in the colorless cloak with a stiff birdlike gait sure seems like a
> > familiar figure, doesn't he?  Then again, the blue glow and the spider like
> > fellow on Blue seemed familiar too, but in the interview Wolfe said that it
> > was not urth/ushas, 2 urths, or 2 ushas so I don't know what to say.

> Well, the cloak looks familiar. I'm not sure about the gait. But
> Severian is a Time Traveler. Why would he not be found in the distant past?

“Colourless” sounds like an odd description of a black cloak anyway.  I know people go on about black and white not being colours, but Severian definitly calls fuligin a colour.  To me, “colourless” implies grey or washed out, or even transparent like a plastic mac.

- Gerry Quinn