(urth) (no subject)

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 19:54:45 PST 2011

--- On Wed, 11/9/11, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> In my view, Severian's flooding of the Vincula presages the
> flooding of Urth. And
>
> thus, just as surely, SilkHorn's flooding of the sewer
> presages a flood, or at least
>
> points to the need for one, on Green.
>

> If we are thinking of humanity, yes, Urth is too cold. But
> isn't Green too hot?
>
> Aren't Ushas and Blue just right?

Blue is colder than urth.  i think the flood is a retelling of the old myth  "how green it is after the rains!"

Ok, here goes, and then I'm going to try my best to leave it alone because I feel really bad about it.  Gene wanted to so confuse his readers that he made a blue and green system, baited and switched them, hid time travel, complicated things by putting rigoglio in, so that we would never, ever, ever get to the bottom of this particular mystery, only try and try to map Blue to Urth with no success becuase there just wasn't a time travel mechnism, there was no biotic substance in the water, and it's colder than Urth (no new sun with heat).  I honestly honestly believe that, and the temperature is vitally important because the urth of the new sun will be hotter than the urth of the dying sun.

I was looking for a time travel mechanism and it simply wasn't there, but I don't buy this as metaphor - it's either the future, or it's a completely different solar system.

the inhumi saying we are everywhere, the vine covered ruins at least being similar, the time disjointment that allow Chenille to be drunk on blue mourning her children being fed on by Jahlee, Silk's presence in an old tale, and the self-identification of a Neighbor as "Horn"  point to an actual physical co-identity.  But it's so obscured, muddled, and complicated by where the moon went if Blue isn't the moon, what Blue is, if it be Yesod or Verthandi or what, that Gene can't even be cornered in interviews when confronted with the question. I need to read New sun and pay attention to any word of Vethandi.

I think there is a literal solution to this, and it's either: Green is literally Urth ... or the electrical pun and the two solar systems are completely unrelated.  I don't want to bother Wolfe about this, he won't say more, but I'm kind of hoping that some day either notes or something will come to light which will put me out of my misery on this one - because it just didn't feel like a (mostly pointless in my mind) metaphorical correction.

I am going to stop now on this one until I have reread the entire sequence.