(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:55:40 PST 2011

>David Stockhoff: The word your argument is missing here, Marc, is "iconic." That rocket
> lander is iconic. It means something in the Sun Cycle: it is itself. To
> recognize it on Green it is to understand either that there is a spacefaring
> civilization in Briah that builds cities out of rockets or that this is
> Nessus. It's like the Statue of Liberty in Planet of the Apes.

Thanks Dave. I think this is a better direction for the discussion- offering alternatives
to consider.

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: This is absolutely correct. There is clearly a _relationship_ between
>the tower-lander on Green and the tower-lander in Nessus. But what
>that relationship is remains indeterminate. Some want to see it as one of identity. Clearly
>possible, but far from established. I suggest that it is one of _resonance_. The tower on
>Green resonates with the tower in Nessus.

Okay, but can you go a step further. Why does Wolfe make them resonate? Can you offer a
possiblity (or two) other than straight identity?

Same question for "GREEN is Urth!" There seems (thankfully) to be no debate that the words
exist nor that Gene Wolfe wrote them. They mean something. If not straight identity then
what?

Saying what something is not is very easy. Let's exercise our brains a little, put some effort
(and pride?) on the line and suggest what something is, eh, wot? Marc has.