(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Nov 8 04:50:04 PST 2011

From: Marc Aramini

> "This was a tower indeed, its nose high as the tops of the tallest trees and
> its sleek lines radiating a strength it no longer posessed.  I can see it now,
> that slightly canted tower gleaming dully in the reddish ligh of the stifling
> afternoon.  Like a rotting corpse, it showed ribs wehre some sideplates had
> been taken.  How we shouted in our delight, thinking it would save us!"
> [tower on Green to save them, its a ship like the Matachin tower]
It *does* sound like a ship, even though a metal structure with ribs and sideplates is hardly definitive of one.  However, it may very well have been one of the Neighbours’ old spacecraft.

> The two cities are compared several times.  The clearing of the sewer reenacts
> the purging of a watery cleansing to clear out the corpses.

I would understand it as just that – a comparison.  [I understand ‘Green is Urth’ the same way, unless Wolfe really was making a terrible electrical pun, something of which he is perfectly capable!]

- Gerry Quinn