(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Nov 7 10:59:07 PST 2011

From: Nick Lee
> Gerry Quinn:

> > That’s because you don’t pay attention to the text. His mode of time
> > travel is to walk or run through the Corridors of Time. The shackle
> > binds
>  > him in time no less than in space.
> > If you want an analogy, consider a
>  > jet liner with a wall built around it at a distance of 50 yards or so.
> It
>  > can fly, but nevertheless it is completely trapped by a low wall.

> The text has no a priori meaning, Gerry. It only means what we think it
> means.

Incorrect.  It means what readers who have properly read it think it means.

> In any case, you've already been given an example of a character who
>  can remove his shackles whenever he wishes. Or do you think those scenes
>  are to be taken at face value, literally, but by your own definition of
> what is literal?

What absurdity is this?  Much later we are shown a character in a play who
breaks his fake shackles when the script calls for it  - what does that have
to do with the Green Man?  We are also shown many more characters who do not
break their shackles.  Do they count?

> And how do you know what the green man's mode of transportation is? Can
>  you explain it scientifically? Is he capable of running faster than the
> speed of
> light? That would make him go backwards in time. What is his true
> mechanism
>  of travel? If you can't explain that, then I don't think your position is
> tenable.

He clearly does not run faster than light (how could Severian have seen him
if he did?).  Time travel probably does not exist in reality, and if it does
neither I nor Gene Wolfe can explain the manner in which it may be achieved.
But we are reading a work of SF in which, as is often the case, time travel
and other impossible things happen, and we understand the rules by which
they happen by what we are told in the book.  In the book, the Green Man
runs through the Corridors of Time, as Severian himself does later (in the
text anyway).

> As it stands, we are not privy to the scene of his "capture." Your notion
> that
> the green man is honest is as much conjecture as anyone else's version of
> events.

We know he was captured, and that he is chained, apparently against his
will.  Of course, you may argue that the village of Saltus are engaged in
some bizarre conspiracy with a shapechanger (no reason to believe he is from
the future at this point, since you have essentially decided to completely
ignore everything we are told about the storyline).  And if his purpose is
to encourage Severian to bring the New Sun, he doesn't need to be a
shapechanger anyway any more than he needs to be a time traveller, he just
needs to be a guy that's convincingly painted green.  So what is the point
of such a conspiracy theory that basically ignores the logic of characters
and storylines that are meant to relate to them?

> What do the hierodules have to say about the green man and his ability to
> travel through time? Urth, p.361: "But as for returning you to your own
> time,
>  we cannot help you. Your green man knew more than we, perhaps; or at
>  least he had more energy at his disposal." And on that same page:"You're
>  a materialist, like all ignorant people, but your materialism doesn't
> make
> materialism true."

Seems like they say about zilch.

> > Right. He must be a shapechanger because... well, because you want him
> > to be,
> >  so everything we are told about him must be just a joke on the reader.

> Who wants him to be a shapechanger? I'm just exploring the notion and
> seeing where it leads me.

To a chain of random associations, apparently.

- Gerry Quinn