(urth) translator - of other books?

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 10:43:12 PST 2011

Sergei SOLOVIEV wrote (07-11-2011 18:35):
> In BoTNS the existence of a translator is assumed (who can choose some
> notions of
> our time to translate difficult concepts of Severian's Urth).
>
> What about other books of the Sun cycle? Did GW abandon this idea? Or it is
> supposed
> that they are also translated?

I always wonder about that whenever the languages spoken aboard the Whorl
become important in relation to some point.

And the notes in the Long and Short Sun books are terse for a reason. What
does the absence of editorial prose there mean? I think it means a lot, but
I have no idea what.

> It is supposed that the translator got the
> manuscript
> of BoTNS thrown by Severian. But how other manuscripts came to us?
>
> The importance of this question is. e.g., in the meaning of the fragments
> from the books of our time in Chrasmologic Writings. If they are
> "adapted translations", OK. But they are in the book written by Rajan,
> or even Horn's children. And the use of quotations from Homer,
> Santillana, Sapho - is important!

Well, so are Robert and Marie in the Botanical Gardens.