(urth) vanished people=Hieros

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 08:29:07 PST 2011

>David Stockhoff: Why would a white Lune be Green?

I dunno. But it might be meant to represent our moon.
I consider that as part of the evidence that Yesod is
our universe though overall I don't consider that to be a
very firm conclusion.

>Gerry Quinn: As for the Green Man, if he has shape changing
>abilities they are fairly limited, as reading the section in
>which Severian first encounters him will make obvious.

I have trouble believing that a being capable of transporting
his body through space and time cannot, in the process, transport
his ankle through a metal shackle.

I think the Green Man episode is simply another act in the play
which is being performed in BotNS for Severian's benefit. That is
part of the reason Palaemon and Rudesind are shown forgetting their
lines, and partly why we are shown a play in which Baldanders is
able to free himself from his shackles at any time.

It's tough to remember all your lines! (especially if you have to
play so many parts, yourself)