(urth) vanished people= Hieros

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 08:01:52 PST 2011

> http://www.askix.com/avav/images/optical_illusions/woman.gif

>Jeff Wilson: I see both (young woman and old woman), but that does not convince me
>that both are intended to represent the same person.

That is not quite germaine to the conversation, at least from my point of view. There
is one image amd two faces. But only one is visible at a time and which one you get depends
on your viewing angle or perspective.

This, I think, is what Wolfe is trying to say about epithets of gods. Are Zeus and
Jupiter and Jove "the same person"?

I don't think you can answer that in a comprehensible way, as you could answer it for
human beings. Likewise for Dionysus-Pan-Bacchus-Faunus. And likewise for The Outsider-
Pas-Silver Silk-Silent Silk-Severian etc.

I think the Janus/Quadrafons is there to additionally point the concept out to us:
multiple faces on one god, like multiple names, is just our (necessarily) human attempt to
express what we can't quite consciously grasp: the simultaneous individuality yet unity of
certain non-human beings.

(like "Father Inire" though that is merely one of his names)