(urth) This week in Google alerts

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sat Nov 5 17:43:04 PDT 2011

From: Jerry Friedman

> > From: Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com

 > >I’d have guessed 55 or 60 (with Piaton being 20-30).  Not really ‘old’ as
> > such, but getting on a bit.

 > I have trouble imagining how Severian could think a person with a fifty-
> something head and a twenty-something head and body was born that
> way.  But then I've long had trouble imagining how he could think it no
> matter what the ages were.  Were they matched in skin color, hairiness,
> etc?
Their hair is a different colour, but I don’t recall we are told anything more.  I never really thought about it much.  Typhon ruled an empire, and although he conquered Urth with famous rapidity, it seems to me that it must have taken some time.  Nor would he, I think, have destroyed his health by dissipation, though of course he might have been unlucky.
Piaton was the strongest of his slaves; and I assume fairly young.
So my (vague) impression was of a Typhon somewhat older than Piaton (though in no way doddery
- Gerry Quinn